- To configure Microsoft failover cluster, we can configure raw device as shared storage.
- When we are configuring Microsoft failover cluster with one node is running on as a VM & other node/s running as a physical.
- To run some of the san management software(ex hitachi horcm)
- To run some backup software on virtual machine, and needs to get storage level backup
Raw Device Mappings
What is raw device mapping?
Raw device mapping is a feature where the virtual machine can directly access the storage devices such as SAN or DAS.
With a VMware we will use vmdk pointer to provide the proxy facility to raw device.
In a virtual environment some cases we may need to have a raw device mappings.
Why we need raw device mapping?
How to Configure?
- Here I have one vm which is prepared to mount raw device
- Using new datastore adding procedure, we can see new lun which is provided from our shared storage(in my case im using windows iscsi server)