Vcenter 5 & 5.5 syslog server is separate component and we have to installed it separately but with vcenter 6. 0 syslogcollector service already installed and we can only customized.
How to costomize syslog server configuration.
- Opena syslog collector config file from notepad. This file is locate under “c:\programdata\vmware\vcenterserver\cfg\vmsyslogcollector”
Bydefault all the syslog will be installed under c:\programdata.
But as a best practice we can change this location to different drive or folder.
- In this exam I have changed it it c:\syslog folder.Also if we required we can change the ports and some other settings.
- Once I configured syslog server, we have to restart syslog service on vcenter server. After that we have to change syslog client configuration from the ESX level. To do that, go to the advanced configuration of the esxi host, add the syslog server address to the syslog.global.loghost.
- Once we mentioned the log host, then we need to allow syslog service from the esx firewall
- We can verify our syslog server and client function from the syslog server. Just open the syslog path. There shoulb be a new folder which is named as a esx hostname.